frequently asked questions

8 posts

My child is about to transition into adulthood; what should we consider at this time and who can support us?

There are many considerations during an individual with ASD’s transition into adulthood. Some of the areas include: Education At age 18, the individual with ASD will have the option of continuing until age 22 in receiving school transition services. This determination will be make during the IEP Transition Meeting. For more information about transition options in the educational system, contact Parents Reaching Out at (800) 524-5176 or (505) 247-0192. If the individual plans to attend college, they can seek support from the college’s office of accessibility. They would need to have a 504 from the high school and meet the […]

How can I find out about activities available for my child in my area?

The Autism Family & Provider Resource Team can help! For a list of activities and services throughout the state for you and your family, please contact them at 505-272-1852 or toll free at 1-800-270-1861, or email them at The New Mexico Autism Society offer community activities for teenagers, adults with ASD, and their families.For more information about The New Mexico Autism Society call (505) 332-0306. At your child’s IEP, you can ask to discuss the possibility of extended school year services and the IEP team will make this determination. Your child’s teacher will need to take data prior to […]