Autism Portal provides resources, online training, and podcasts specific to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

My child is about to transition into adulthood; what should we consider at this time and who can support us?

There are many considerations during an individual with ASD’s transition into adulthood. Some of the areas include:


At age 18, the individual with ASD will have the option of continuing until age 22 in receiving school transition services. This determination will be make during the IEP Transition Meeting.

For more information about transition options in the educational system, contact Parents Reaching Out at (800) 524-5176 or (505) 247-0192.

If the individual plans to attend college, they can seek support from the college’s office of accessibility. They would need to have a 504 from the high school and meet the eligibility requirements.


Prior to age 18, the individual with ASD and the family will determine if the individual will be their own guardian or if they will be seeking guardianship.

If you have questions regarding this process, you can contact the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council Guardianship Program at (505) 841-4549.

If you need additional assistance, you can also contact the Autism Family and Provider Resource Team at (800) 270-1861 or (505) 272-1852.


The New Mexico Center for Self Advocacy is a program with the New Mexico Developmental Disabilities Council, located in Albuquerque, that helps individuals with developmental disabilities meet, organize, work, and train others. Their goal is to support people to be empowered, make their own decisions, speak up for themselves and others, and take control of their own lives. They also endevor to create awareness about disability issues and achieving maximum independence and quality of life.
For more information, you can visit the Center for Self Advocacy Website or contact (505) 841-4571.

The ARC of New Mexico supports People First advocacy groups throughout the state of New Mexico. These groups are run by and for people with developmental disabilities.
For more information, you can visit the ARC of New Mexico Website or contact (800) 358-6493.


Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) can assist in supporting employment or pre-employment skills for individuals with ASD, age 14 and older. If you are in High School, you can ask your school team to connect you with DVR. You can contact the local DVR office in your area.

There is additional information including tip sheets and videos on the CDD Information Network website, CDD Information Network website.

The CDD Partners for Employment is a collaborative approach to increasing employment outcomes for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities. They offer training and events that build capacity within the state of New Mexico among state agencies personnel, service providers, family members, self-advocates, employers and other supports in regards to employment. They also support Project SEARCH which is an innovative school-to-work internship program that gives young adults with disabilities the opportunity to learn marketable job skills to help them gain employment.
For more information visit the Partners for Employment website.

Social Security Income (SSI)

When an individual with ASD turns 18 year old, they might be eligible for SSI which allows individuals a monthly check to pay for their basic needs and access to Medicaid.
For more information about SSI, you can refer to the How To Apply For Supplemental Security Income

Other Considerations or Resources

For additional resources and considerations, you can contact the Autism Family and Provider Resource Team at (800) 270-1861 or (505) 272-1852.