7 posts

My child is about to transition into adulthood; what should we consider at this time and who can support us?

There are many considerations during an individual with ASD’s transition into adulthood. Some of the areas include: Education At age 18, the individual with ASD will have the option of continuing until age 22 in receiving school transition services. This determination will be make during the IEP Transition Meeting. For more information about transition options in the educational system, contact Parents Reaching Out at (800) 524-5176 or (505) 247-0192. If the individual plans to attend college, they can seek support from the college’s office of accessibility. They would need to have a 504 from the high school and meet the […]

I am Special Education teacher with student who has autism. How can I learn more about autism or how to best support the student?

The Autism Programs at UNM/CDD offers autism specific school related services including trainings, consultation and conferences including the Summer Institute and the Preschool Institute for school personnel. For more information about School based services, call (505) 272-1852 or (800) 270-1861. The Autism Programs at the CDD offers a variety of training throughout the state of New Mexico. The training team is composed of experts in the field of autism. Every year, the training team focuses on a specific region in the state. For the training calendar, go to The Autism Programs Website or call (800) 270-1861 or (505)2 72-5304.